[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 1 13:39:13 PDT 2007

> He liked what he liked, not just as a musicologist,
but as a piano player and composer.

Of any note?

> He lived in a number of different places and seems to
have traveled a lot. Looks like he got out plenty.

Travelling a lot and getting out a lot are two different things. I bet wherever Adorno went, he never outside of his head and had a transformative experience such as attending Saturday Mass at the Garage with Larry spinning.

When I first joined the list people mentioned Adorno a lot so I thought I should read him. I decided to start with his jazz writings since I love jazz and felt I could ease my way into Adorno. But what he wrote was symptomatic of a perosn who did not get out much since he did not imaginatively enter the music he was listening to (a much more serious issue than just "liking what he likes"). I got the impression that he could only understand pleasure in a very limited, caustic way.

Brian