[lbo-talk] Americans pissed, sez Greenberg

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Nov 1 15:06:56 PDT 2007

Joanna wrote:
>What puzzles me is why this sudden demand for statistical research. I
>mean you make plenty of pronouncements not backed by anything at all
>except spleen and melancholy.
>
>The fact that the airwaves have been dominated by angry shock jocks for
>20 years means nothing?

I think it's worth exploring Carrol's contention that this 'anger' is manufactured. For performers on radio and TV it's clearly a dramatic device, the question is whether it reflects something true among the public or whether it is trying to generate something that needs a lot of encouragement and possibly would not exist without it. The fact that the airwaves have been dominated by angry shock jocks might mean that anger is difficult to rouse and needs constant incitement, at least against fake enemies. I think fear is a different matter.

Jenny Brown

</HTML>