[lbo-talk] Americans pissed, sez Greenberg

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Nov 2 07:45:09 PDT 2007

Andy F wrote:
>Whether shock jocks enable anger or vice versa kind of sounds vs.
>nurture in that you're going to have something going both ways. But I
>think there is room for a market argument here -- nobody would choose
>to listen to all the hectoring unless it tapped into something that
>was already there.

Well, as we know, supply often creates demand. But 'demand' is a strong word to use for flipping on the radio. It's not paying demand. And what else is there on radio if you want something other than music? Before Air America (which has a small reach) there was nothing in a commercial format that leaned any direction but right and frothing. Passion is more arresting than passionlessness (NPR) but that doesn't mean there's a sector of the general public that is angry, it only means there's a sector that will listen to someone who acts angry.

Jenny Brown </HTML>