[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 2 09:26:24 PDT 2007

bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:
> At 11:12 AM 10/31/2007, Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>> On Oct 31, 2007, at 11:52 AM, JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
>>

>>> Comforting to know it was not original to you, but it's still
>>> disturbing,
>>> though not puzzling, that when groping for a metaphor for the worst
>>> sort of human
>>> one can think of, cunt is what comes to this guy's mind.
>>>
>> Well yeah, but "prick," "dick," (both male) and "asshole" (gender-
>> neutral) are pretty synonymous, though "cunt" admittedly has greater
>> shock value.
>>
>> Doug
>>

> The difference is that you invariably call a man a dick or prick, but a
> woman isn't called dick or prick. Cunt and bitch, when applied to men, or
> to both, generally is meant to invoke the worst sort of woman, and to be a
> special put down of a man in particular precisely because he's being called
> a woman.
>
> I had to laugh the other day when someone made a joke about Margaret
> Thatcher's looks on the list. At the inception of this list, Ange got on
> someone's ass for same. There's some progress. 10 years ago, someone gets
> called on it. Today, de nada. heh. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
>

> Bitch | Lab
> http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)

I disagree. Women are called dicks when they behave in an aggressive manner. I do believe the "dick threshold" is lower for women than men but that is a different topic. A man being called a cunt is not being called the same thing as when he is being called a pussy. A cunt is, like a dick, a disagreeable person but a pussy is a weak person.

John Thornton