[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Nov 2 09:49:31 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> In sum, I am not disagreeing with your technical points about correlations
> between IQ/'aptitude' testing and academic performance. I am making two
> different arguments: (1) that these are statistical correlations only, which
> either do not explain or create a false impression how human cognition work,
> and (2) that the actual use of these tests in social practice cannot be
> separated from the evaluation of their merits, and that actual use involved
> mainly elitist, if not fascist, goals of denying access to social resources
> for certain groups of people.
>

> Wojtek

I wholeheartedly agree with your first point; if you want to understand cognitive processes, IQ tests are useless. There is a lot of interesting research in cognitive psychology, and none of it involves IQ tests. On the second point, I agree with Matt that you're exaggerating the prevalence of this gatekeeping function of standardized testing. Yes, for a small proportion of students applying to elite colleges, standardized tests help deny access to certain groups. However, most college students can completely avoid this standardized testing by going to community colleges and/or many state colleges and universities that do not have SAT/ACT admission requirements. In addition, it is currently illegal to use general standardized tests like the Stanford Binet in job selection procedures; any test must be directly related to the employee's specific job duties (e.g., a typing test for a secretary). If we're trying to figure out why capable people are denied educational opportunities and jobs, vilifying IQ tests won't get us very far.

To explicate a point I made earlier in the thread, the lack of standardized assessment is a far more pressing social problem than the existence of standardized tests like the Stanford-Binet or the SAT. If your goal is to deny capable people access to resources, you want to maintain subjective, anecdotal selection procedures; you do not want standardized assessment tools with high criterion related validity. For instance, the job interview is a ubiquitous job selection procedure in our society. Hiring authorities are adamant that they need to "look the person in the eye and talk to them face to face" to select the best candidate for the job. Organizational psychologists have conducted decades of research to test this claim. In study after study, they have found that job interviews are a miserable method for selecting effective employees. People who perform well in interviews do not necessarily have the skills or motivation to excel in the job, and people who perform poorly in interviews often do have the skills and motivation to excel in the job. In sum: the job interview ritual is an arbitrary, subjective procedure that denies opportunities to many capable individuals. If we want to meaningfully challenge "elitism", we need to replace pointless procedures like the job interview with standardized assessments that have high criterion related validity.

Miles

Miles