[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

knowknot at mindspring.com knowknot at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 2 10:34:11 PDT 2007

On 11/1/07, ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org>

>> Crick (not Watson) speculated . . . it was

>> "possible" that the chemical components

>> for life on Earth could have originated with

>> intelligent beings elsewhere, but he did not

>> claim that he had scientific for any such

>> any such contention. * * *

> This latter version (life originated elsewhere) is

> more reasonable and I believe considered quite

> possible by the experts, than the more exotic idea

> that ETs planted life here!

I agree (both that some experts subscribe to the less "exotic" version of the sort of scenario summarized above and also that its a "quite possible" one), but note that, for at least these two quite basic considerations, it is far from clear what you think is "reasonable" in this connection let alone whether this sort of generalized statement actually explains very much (if anything) at all:

First, positing that "life" (whatever one means by that term) "originated elsewhere" than on Earth would not actually answer the, "Where did life originate?" question because so doing does not provide any information about where the "elsewhere" referred to is (or was) or when and how it (or whatever one refers to by the "it" in question) originated; and, in any event

Second, if (as I'm guessing is so) what you're trying to suggest by this "more reasonable" alternative to the extraterrestial(being)s-(intentionally)sent-'life'-or-the-components-thereof-to Earth sort of speculation is that the chemical components (and the components of the chemicals) and whatever are the sources of energy that result in "life" include components of DNA and of proteins, etc., is (without more) essentially truistic (even if - as of course is very plausible to imagine - those materials and that energy bounced off other planets and exist or have been drifting through space in some other manner and impacted with this planet), since that sort of claim, too, does not answer the, "What's 'life'?" question either (notwithstanding that living organisms on Earth consist, as they do, of chemicals and the components thereof and of the energy relations occurring in whatever are the organisms one refers to).