[lbo-talk] Foreclosure crisis hitting Kansas City hard

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Nov 2 14:59:22 PDT 2007

This is pretty significant because Kansas City has been riding an economic boom for the past 25 years. One can drive around the burbs here and see "for sale" signs in front of lots of houses. Four years ago, when I moved back, it was rare to see a real estate sign. The situation has also forced more homeowners in the burbs to spend thousands fixing up their houses so they can sell. One of our neighbors up the street has been selling their house for the past 6 months. They put a new roof on this summer and they just fixed all of the exterior walls (batten style) and re-painted. My father says that they'll still have problems selling because they didn't re-do the driveway. This is a house which is around 35-years-old.

Foreclosures: Living in the Zone http://www.nbcactionnews.com/content/investigative/story.aspx?content_id=2c5b86cf-dff4-4cc4-91be-087ce81a5ec2&rss=764 "We found the majority of the hot zones on the Missouri side, ranging from 56 to 110 for some zones, and up to 185 for others and the hardest hit topping out at 388."

Woot! More people are going to join me on the unemployment line!

Embarq to cut about 1,000 jobs by end of year http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=bf0e1cf5-83e0-46d4-bc19-7414e823fb1f&rss=764

"OVERLAND PARK, Kan. - Embarq Corp. is cutting about 1,000 jobs as it relies on streamlining and more aggressive marketing to counter a soft economy and cutthroat competition."

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/