[lbo-talk] Dems stand up for principle

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Sat Nov 3 12:26:13 PDT 2007

> > You know, it would almost be entertaining to have Nathan Newman (or as
>> Max calls him, "NEWMAN!") on the list again, just to see what
>> justification he could cook up for this weak-ass Dem capitulation. But
>> then, I'm easily entertained.
>>
>> Miles
>
>Have to admit, shit like this gives me more & more material for my book. Too
>much material, I'm afraid.

So at what point do "we" stop professing surprise--of the horrified, chagrined, or satirical variety--at the Dems and start accepting that this is who they are? Capitulation implies the betrayal of some sort of nature or essence, and nothing the Dems have done recently is any different than what they've done in their entire history. Cackling about them makes for some nice books, blog posts, and mailing-list missives that practically write themselves, but it's not really politics. It's more like laughing at zebras because they have stripes.