[lbo-talk] "Yiddishkeit"???

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 16:24:16 PDT 2007

I picked up the Soviet fielm "Bogdan Khmelnitsky" on DVD today (along with "V for Vendetta," which sucked eggs -- I can't believe those bastards butchered the comic so hideously). I am curious to see how they handle Bogdan's pogromshchik side -- probably they won't. I'm guessing he'll be presented exlusively as the guy who threw the Poles out of Ukraine and facilitated bringing the latter into the Russian Empire (which ironically ultimately resulted in the destruction of the Zaporozhian Cossacks as such when Catherine the Great burned down the Sech).

(Interestingly apparently there is today a group of Slavic-speaking peoples in Romania called the Rusaks, who are the descendents of Khmelnitsky's Zaporozhians who fled to the Ottoman Empire after Catherine's burning of the Sech, although the majority wound up in what is now the Kuban. Which is why the Russian spoken in that region has a heavy Ukrainian influence.)

(I love having a niche of obscure historical knowledge I can call my own. :) I still speculate occasionally about how I would like to write a book about the Cossacks, and how much work that would entail...)