[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on how Amazon's tax subsidy > its profit

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 10:40:01 PST 2007

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> The consumer will not pay the sales tax, that

> is the responsibility of the retailer. Just as

> it is the responsibility of the retailer to

> pay his rent and his wages.

Not in Florida! If I buy a book from amazon.com I am required by Florida state law to write out a check for six percent of its price and mail it off to the Florida Department of Revenue. Not that one in a hundred private individuals buying goods through the mail or the internet in Florida ever does this, but the company I work for sends them itemized lists of interstate purchases and big checks every three months.

Now if I buy a computer from dell.com they will add the six percent to the bill and forward it to the Department of Revenue. They are required by state law to offer this service - for the taxpaying convenience of their customers 8-) - as a condition of being allowed to operate stores in Florida. But as I understand it, it's still me, the buyer, who is responsible for making sure the state sales tax gets paid.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at gmail.com