[lbo-talk] get ready for Pres Clinton - again!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 4 18:57:06 PST 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Henrique Antoun wrote:

> But to me the question is how much the Imperial powers of
> presidency are
> submited to democratic devices. If he can do the war against Iran
> before the
> elections, using the imperial powers of presidency, what will
> remain of
> democratic strutcture? How much the capital power can control the
> Imperial
> power today in the USA politics?

I dunno, it seems to me the war on Iraq and the threat of war with Iran is being led by the political sector, not capital. I don't see any evidence that capital is pushing a bellicose agenda - almost all sectors would be hurt by $120 oil, which is probably what war with Iran would bring. Don't get me wrong, but I don't see any evidence that capital is particularly antiwar, either. But what evidence is there that Wall Street and the Fortune 500 are lobbying for a cruise missile attack on Iran.

Doug