[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Nov 4 19:39:21 PST 2007

On 4 Nov, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>> The feminization of Kerry in the '04 campaign was a class insult,
>>> even though Bush was less of an athlete and just as upper crust.
>>
>> But that's just the point -- it's not a class insult because it
>> doesn't implicate both of them as members of the same class the
>> way an
>> ethnic slur insults everyone who is part of the group. It's
>> personalized.
>
> No. The Bush people were trying to portray Kerry as upper class, as
> opposed to their common man candidate.

But what is the real difference? In reality, Kerry and Bush belong to the same class. The crux of the success of the GOP play is that what is emphasised and sticks is the "upper" (i.e., "elite" in terms of taste, imbibed education, etc, as Michael points out) rather than the "class". Class consciousness would make this silly attempted differentiation (on the basis of class) laughable.

Rather, as Michael points out, the difference is all spelled out in individual mannerism, personality, etc. We are the ruling class and one of us will be selected -- which one do you want? This guy who sounds foreign or this brush-clearing fake cowboy you can "have a beer with"?

--ravi