[lbo-talk] Japan's history divide comes home in textbook row

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Nov 5 05:38:40 PST 2007

Reuters.com

Japan's history divide comes home in textbook row http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUST896120071019?sp=true

Fri Oct 19, 2007

By Isabel Reynolds

TOKYO (Reuters) - When Japanese soldiers gave out grenades to residents of Okinawa toward the end World War Two, Kiku Nakayama says she and her friends knew what they were for.

Then a teenage military nurse, she was told to fend for herself when the hospital where she worked was abandoned as U.S. forces approached. "We were given grenades and we all interpreted that to mean we should use them to kill ourselves," Nakayama said. http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUST896120071019?sp=true