[lbo-talk] Doris Lessing, Canopus in Argos: Archieves

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:29:19 PST 2007

I'm new to sci-fi, which is cool; like with my not really discovering enjoyable things like sushi or video games till recently, it's an unexpected new present for life. I remember being an early geek in youth, into comic books and stuff; and I assume I would have progressed on to sci-fi, maybe even RPGs, had not punk music and then radical politics intervened to monopolize my time. As I'm recently feeling a tad burnt out on full-time obsession with radical politics, I've taken up a few other interests, and sci-fi has been one. I originally gave it a shot because my briggs-meyers profile (ENTP I think?), which was spot-on about a good deal of stuff, noted that my type often really enjoys sci-fi. I thought, huh, maybe there's something to that, and checked out a china mieville book, which rocked my world. Since mieville I've been reading neal stephenson and phillip pullman, and am about to move on to william gibson. The stuff I like the most so far is the steampunk aesthetic, and especially the smartypants stuff with political undertones or overtones woven in. Star trek and such leaves me cold, though.