[lbo-talk] Alas, poor Citibank!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 6 20:03:38 PST 2007

Carl Remick wrote:

> On 11/6/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> But -- to utter those most fateful words -- I think
> This Time It Is Different. I think Wall Street has finally outsmarted
> itself in a terminally risky way through financial engineering,

"Crises are never more than momentary, violent solutions for the existing contradictions, violent eruptions that re-establish the disturbed balance for the time being." (CIII)

A few capitalists may suffer personally, but millions of people (non-capitalists) will lose their jobs, their retirement accounts, etc. if the crash your articles predict occurs.

If the slump lasts 5 years at least, getting a bit worse each year, then it might begin to stir up some political trouble, but its immeidate result would be to send everyone fleeing to private shelters of one sort or another.

CArrol