[lbo-talk] Yet another colored revolution bites it

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 07:21:47 PST 2007

The thing is that the elites that the Rose and the Orange Revolutions (I don't think the Tulip Revo really counts; it was born dead) brought to power haven't done anything to address the underlying problems of their countries. Neither engaged in the very difficult and dirty work of de-oligarching their societes (unlike, say, Putin). They also have made no progress on resolving any of the ethnic dispytes/conflicts that exist in both Ukraine and Georgia, especially Georgia, where there are like 20 different ethnic groups and don't like each other. Instead all they've done is appeal to a future hypotherical paradise when Ukraine and Georgia are in the EU and NATO (which I don't think will ever happen) and appeal to nationalism. Appeals to nationalism do not work well in multiethnic countries, since they alienate the minorities (who get painted as being in league with foreign dark forces).

It's been four years and Georgians have seen little improvement. Same thing as in 2003.