[lbo-talk] Zizek on WITBD

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Nov 8 14:54:04 PST 2007

>London Review of Books - November 15, 2007
><http://www.lrb.co.uk/v29/n22/zize01_.html>
>
>"Resistance Is Surrender"
>by Slavoj Zizek

This is Zizek in a nutshell, isnt' it? The caricaturing of his opponents' thought; the grade-school contrarianism ("if Bill Gates would 'resist' the state, then I will embrace it!"); seeing politics as merely the ground on which ideology operates ("don't protest the war, but only because Bush can use that against you in the propaganda war"); etc. But just because Critchley is a wuss doesn't rule out the possibility of an evasive, "passive" politics that doesn't resign itself to the state's permanence or lock itself into an endless resistance-repression dialectic. In fact, and though I hate to self-promote, I just put up a post that relates to this: <http://recordingsurface.blogsome.com/2007/11/08/escape/>