[lbo-talk] Vets make up quarter of nation's homeless

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Nov 9 11:23:03 PST 2007

On Fri, November 9, 2007 7:38 am, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> But the most tragic part of it is that there is not much anyone can do
> about it that is short of breaking up the US of A - as it was the case of
> x-USSR. Hoping that the empire can be ended by ordinary political
> processes - such as electing the "right" people to political offices - is
> delusional.

Not to worry, we live in extraordinary times. History has decided, with its typically inscrutable sense of humor, to terminate the Empire via the world's largest developmental state. The Bank of China happens to be financing half the US current account deficit because... it just feels like it. For now. But not for much longer.

I'd argue that the critique of US Empire, and all its toxic identity-politics, is the key issue for US progressives. The US political overclass just voted to spend well over $800 billion on war in 2008, ensuring that the US continues to decline into Second World debtorhood. It doesn't have to be this way. This insight should be a centerpiece of US progressive thinking and organizing.

-- DRR