[lbo-talk] RIP Norman Mailer

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 10 10:27:55 PST 2007

On Nov 10, 2007, at 12:17 PM, Max B. Sawicky wrote:

> Mailer's mayoral 'campaign' was my first political project.

I loved that campaign. I was a junior in HS, I think. The only two planks of his platform that I remember was to ban noisy equipment on Sundays and to ban or severely reduce car traffic in Manhattan and build some sort of monorail around the island. Ah the grand schemes of 1969. Today it's congestion pricing, which could be a great thing, but is sorta wonky. His running mate, Jimmy Breslin, hated election day because the bars were closed. He gave up drinking, but the bars aren't closed anymore.

Doug