[lbo-talk] counting to 200 -- how about 500

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 12 07:41:53 PST 2007

Robert Wrubel wrote:

> --- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Iris Murdoch's point is that contemporary thinkers
> (including Marx, Freud, the existentialists and
> structuralists) all in different ways deny the reality
> of Kantian moral imperatives (or any abstract scheme
> of values). Yet we all go on living is if there were
> right and wrong choices.

Try it once more. She is incoherent, irrelevant, and inconsequential-- in fact, pretty juvenile. Marx makes statements about the structure and dynamic of a whole historical epoch. Murdoch says, that doesn't show me whether I should kiss my husband goodnight. Of course. And a typing class doesn't show you how to solve differential equations and a gravel road isn't an evening dress.

Big deal.