[lbo-talk] coup in Venezuela?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Nov 12 10:41:56 PST 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, the "Axis of Logic" was quoted as trumpeting

> http://axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_25479.shtml
>
> Nov 10, 2007, 16:40

> BREAKING! FASCIST CONSPIRACY, FUELED BY U.S. TAX DOLLARS TO LAUNCH THE
> 2ND COUP D'ETAT in THE BOLIVARIAN REPUBLIC OF VENEZUELA By Arturo
> Rosales in Valencia and Ramon Santiago in Maracay. Axis of Logic
> Exclusive!

For which they cite the following evidence at the very beginning of their article as the most striking:

> 14 DEPUTIES IN NATIONAL ASSEMBLY COME OUT AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT
>
> 14 deputies are expected to go to the opposition side in the National
> Assembly between now and the December 2nd National Referendum to
> approve the constitutional reforms.
>
> 3 LEADERS, FORMERLY LOYAL TO CHAVEZ COME OUT AGAINST HIM
>
> After ex-General and former Defense Minister, Raul Baduel came out
> against the constitutional reforms earlier this week, the Attorney
> General, Isaias Rodriguez and Comptroller General of the Republic,
> Cloudosbaldo Russian are expected to publicly pronounce their
> opposition to the Constitutional Reform proposals. Such traitorous
> actions will weaken the cohesive authority of the State and hence
> Central Government.

Umm, I hate to be soppy headed liberal, but opposing a legal reform in the sense of speaking out against not usually considered in itself traitorous. And to call it such sound kind of a like parody of dictator talk. Especially when it's a small minority whose opposition so far looks like it won't stop it. It kind of implies that anything less than unanimity is treason.

This doesn't seem like our side's best moment.

Maybe something else is going on elsewhere that I know nothing about. But what this article cites as evidence seems scary in the opposite way from the way intended.

Michael