[lbo-talk] Behind The Drums Of War With Iran: Weapons of Compound Interest

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 12 11:45:04 PST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 2:28 PM, double bluff wrote:

> By Ellen Brown
>
> Why the relentless push for war with Iran? The nuclear weapons
> explanation is suspect. The most important impetus for war may not be
> oil or the bomb but that Iran has managed to escape the heel of an
> international clique of private bankers. We may be involved in a
> war of
> banking schemes, with Iran’s innovative interest-free banking model
> pitted against the compound interest trap that has captured most of
> the
> world in debt.
>
> http://www.opednews.com/articles/1/
> opedne_ellen_br_071109_behind_the_drums_of_.htm

At which we further read:

> It is this debt scheme, with its lethal weapon of interest
> compounded annually, that has allowed a small clique of financiers
> to dominate the business of the world. In Tragedy and Hope,
> Professor Carroll Quigley wrote from personal knowledge of this
> financial clique, which he called simply "the international
> bankers." Dr. Quigley, who was Bill Clinton's mentor at Georgetown
> University, said the aim of the international bankers was "nothing
> less than to create a world system of financial control in private
> hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the
> economy of the world as a whole," a system "to be controlled in a
> feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in
> concert, by secret agreements."9 The key to the bankers' success
> was that they would control and manipulate the money systems of the
> world while letting them appear to be controlled by governments.

Uh, no kidding. It's called capitalism. It's been around a while.

This sounds like all that debt-free right wing crap that assumes that capitalism would be ok if it weren't for all those bankers. Profit is ok - just not interest. It's deeply silly.

And besides, 1) Islamic bankers have come up with all kinds of clever ways to charge interest without charging interest, and 2) wouldn't Saudi Arabia also qualify as a target if this were true?

Doug