[lbo-talk] BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ released today

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 13 10:28:52 PST 2007

Two reviews came out:

Dave Kehr in the NY Times paid more attention to the 1931 version than to Fassbinder's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/movies/homevideo/13dvds.html

I am at a loss to understand the competition he tries to evoke between the two versions. It was the reality of Weimar (and its demise) which produced Jutzi's version which in turn gave rise to the West Germany whose circumstances allowed for the birth of Fassbinder's film.

He also called attention to the new dvd of Charles Burnett's work which everyone should own as well. Burnett is one of the few American directors left who produces interesting work that avoids the pitfalls of both Hollywood and Indiewood.

Michael Atkinson's review is also bizarre. He insists not once, but twice, that he is a non-Fassbinderian as if trying to ward off the evil eye or Satan's curse.

http://ifc.com/news/article?aId=21614

Other critics have been silent. I guess they are too caught up reliving the joys of SHREK THE THIRD or salivating over the OCEAN'S 11, 12, and 13 Gift Set.

Brian