[lbo-talk] Income gap grows between white, black families in US

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 11:40:37 PST 2007

I won't claim to have a flawless explanation of the study's findings.

I can however, offer an observation or two (as, for those who may be new to the party, an African American with some experience of the relevant issues) that may be useful.

How do we recover from accidents and screw ups? What resources are available to different groups to aid children and young people who're having a difficult time? Are there differing rates of social/workplace acceptance for people who're having or who've had, a spot of trouble?

I believe a portion (and only a portion: I make no outsized claims) of this cross generational, "downward mobility" can be explained by the answers to these questions.

Time and again I've witnessed the following drama: a middle or upper middle class African American family raises a couple of kids. Kid X navigates education and workplace situations while facing typical American bullshit. This person carves out enough 'success' to match - or exceed - his or her parents' income level and social position.

Kid Y falls down the usual way: drug dependence, bad adolescent decisions, destruction vortex, bad day with the cops, etc.

Depressingly familiar.

Kid Y appears on criminal justice system radar and/or faces other challenges that require a lot of professional and personal attention.

Of course, family support is crucial but equally important is the need for social forgiveness. "Forgiveness" is not the best word; it's weighted with unfortunate moralist connotations. By "forgiveness" I mean the willingness of employers et. al. to perceive this person as one of them and deserving of 'a chance'.

The primary victory of the civil rights movement was the opening up of a space in which some blacks - those who're most easily accepted as members of the dreaming tribe of middle class normality - can make their way.

But blacks who, even after their parents have established a beach head on the hallowed shore, take a detour down fuck up lane, are swiftly returned to full 'other' status.

Down they go.

.d.