[lbo-talk] Journalism prof. admits plagiarizing material fromstudent

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 14 01:39:48 PST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 8:09 PM, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> But art has always involved borrowing and appropriation. If we had to
> follow intelelctual property dictates strictly, then our arts would be dead.

Certainly, people die every day because of intellectual property. Medical patents, for instance. The intellectual property system is a known killer.

(If you have a system which keeps hardworking people from averting deaths and suffering, because you can thereby send armed people against them to stop them from applying what they've learned, then that system is murderous.)

"IN the 19th century, the United States was both a rapidly

industrializing nation and -- as Charles Dickens, among others,

knew all too well -- a bold pirate of intellectual property.

-- http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C07E4D8103AF937A25753C1A9649C8B63

Certainly, our industry and tech would be dead if all ideas were vacummed up into the intellecutal property system. FOSS software generally isn't counted in our economic statistics, I'm sure, but clearly has an impact far outstripping what we measure.

The Gnu Public License is an interesting hack on intellectual property, because it preserves attribution...

Tayssir