[lbo-talk] black class gap

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Wed Nov 14 03:46:18 PST 2007

At 04:19 PM 11/13/2007, Doug Henwood wrote:
><http://pewresearch.org/pubs/634/black-public-opinion>
>
>Blacks See Growing Values Gap Between Poor and Middle Class
>Optimism About Black Progress Declines
>
>November 13, 2007
>
>African Americans see a widening gulf between the values of middle
>class and poor blacks, and nearly four-in-ten say that because of the
>diversity within their community, blacks can no longer be thought of
>as a single race, a new Pew Research Center survey has found.

I've been reading a book, Black Identity and Black Protest in the Antebellum North, which is about the early perception that there was 'too much' diversity among blacks, something black male leaders thought was a problem. Hence, a concerted effort to locate a common oppression narrative around which to unite and struggle against slavery and racism.

The division among blacks, today, I find interesting. I'm living in a city that is something like 60% black population (although this totally flip flops in the suburban "city" nearby and its freakin' scary how, snap, you can feel yourself cross the race line. even so, a 40% black population is still pretty large by contrast to most US cities and towns). There's a very strong middle class supported by decent military and government jobs. I'm constantly flummoxed in conversations by the same thing that drives Michael Eric Dyson mad: the class warfare among blacks themselves. E.g., I was talking with someone about the history of the city, dominated as so many others, by the urban renewal of the 60s which tended to shove poor and working class blacks out of an area, with he promise of housing that never materialized. I said something about how, today, they fighting to prevent that and she said, "Yeah, and I think people are crazy to buy condos built right next to the projects. They should get them the hell out of sight."

It would be unremarkable, I guess, except that this is like the fifth time I've heard the sentiment coming from blacks who are ensconced in professional-managerial positions: doctors, attorneys, management, programmers, city arts evangelist, etc. The was a brouhaha locally re: the summer African American fest, with the black business class getting increasingly freaked out about the hip hop and rap bands that show up and, according to them, incite their proper middle class children to do stupid things -- like get in fights, etc. What gets me is that there seems to be no voice out here that provide any other analysis.

I miss Uhuru!