[lbo-talk] Is the Anti-War movement in decline?

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 06:03:09 PST 2007

--- Lenin's Tomb <leninstombblog at googlemail.com> wrote: "Cockburn seems to suggest that the failure to identify with insurgents in Iraq signifies the hegemony of Democratic discourse and the acceptance of the logic of the war on terror - thus causing many of the problems faced by the antiwar movement."

Your first point, of the "disaggregated" nature of the armed resistance, is the important one. Who on the left even knows the names of more than one or two resistance leaders (Muqtada, and, . . . um)? Not to mention who has the most legitimacy or is most connected to a civilian population. Even al Maliki appears to be part of the resistance now and then!

I think "Out if Iraq" is an adequate slogan for the left in this circumstance.

BobW