[lbo-talk] black class gap

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 07:30:44 PST 2007

Perhaps I'm a bad hombre, or some sort of 'traitor' (i.e., insufficiently fired up by an alleged spirit of brotherhood) but I must admit to being puzzled by hand wringing over this "class gap".

Division, based upon real or imagined differences, within and between groups is at least as old as civilization, yes?

We can be disturbed, but we shouldn't be surprised when African Americans behave like other human beings by creating hierarchies.

Almost no one's shocked when, say, a middle class, suburban white guy frets about the purported threat a declasse neighbor poses to his property value.

But if that disconcerted householder is black, and if the outcast neighbor is also black we're especially disappointed as if an eldritch bond has been rudely broken.

.d.