[lbo-talk] economic mobility study: the horse's mouth

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 09:57:22 PST 2007

History has shown that when it comes to carefully paying attention to a debating opponent's actual arguments, Wojtek is as disciplined as a frat boy managing a brewery.

'Gangsta culture', as Jordan crisply points out, is an effect, not a cause.

In the past, it didn't exist; now it does and is, I'll concede, having a bad impact on how some kids (and biological adults with kid-like minds) see themselves.

But where did this thing - the focus of so much attention - come from? Did some group of black villains decide, at some arbitrary moment in the 1980s, that today is the dawning of the age of gangsta-quarius? Finding answers to these questions is the sort of thing people like Mike Davis do best.

If, however, we use Wojtek's "serious analysis" as our starting point, we might be led astray by Sokolowski Maneuvers into discounting the Mike Davis's of the world in favor of a strongly asserted, but entirely empty set of curmudgeonly beliefs.

So there we were, we blackamoors, recently liberated from the yoke of overt racism by the civil rights struggle. The future looked bright. Suddenly, 'gangsta culture' arose, apparently from nowhere and from nothing.

Our prospects were ruined, our hopes dashed. Were it not for this indulgence, we'd have reached the stars by now.

.d.