[lbo-talk] economic mobility study: the horse's mouth

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 14 10:14:34 PST 2007

WS wrote:

>or you are just trying to
>guard the received wisdom from the reality check?
>
>BTW, the idea of "acting black" that I just floated come not from my
>imagination but from schoolteachers, whom I know a few. I value their word
>- more so than that of spin meisters -

This is where you always lose me. I never know what spin meisters and received wisdom you are talking about. This country is run by spin-meistering that says things like "gangsta culture" is threatening civilization. Like Jordan says "gangsta culture" is overwhelmingly white suburban kids acting out.

>BTW, the idea of "acting black" that I just floated come not from my
>imagination but from schoolteachers, whom I know a few. I value their word
>- more so than that of spin meisters - because these folk have direct
>empirical everyday experience of the phenomenon in question,

Whatever empirical experience they have is here turned into a lackadaisical appeal to authority. I'll see your school teachers and raise you a few criminal defense lawyers.