[lbo-talk] economic mobility study: the horse's mouth

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 10:56:48 PST 2007

Chris Doss:

Can't "gangsta culture" be both an effect and a cause?

I suppose.

But this begs the question.

Simultaneously cause and effect of what?

Are we to say, per Dr. Sokolowski, that downward mobility is caused by gangsta culture and gangsta culture is the cause of downward mobility?

I'd much rather trace the history and development of black American life from the 1950s to 2007, sans scaremongering marketing labels and preconceptions.

That would be far more illuminating than waving "gangsta" around like a magical wand of explanation.

.d.