[lbo-talk] black class gap

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Nov 14 10:57:11 PST 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 13:15:00 Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007, at 12:32 PM, JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
> > Michael Smith wrote:
> >> I dare say. What was baffling to me was how a person who
> >> thinks the term "race" has any actual meaning could at the
> >> same time think that a "race" could split into two "races"
> >> based on... income? What does the word "race" _mean_ to this
> >> person?
> >
> > Caste?
>
> Race in this context = skin color and little else, no?

Well, apparently not, if the writer thinks (as he seems to) that differences in prosperity are making two "races" with the same distribution of melanin.

It's probably not worth speculating much more about the mentality that produced this gobbledegook; it interested me only because "race" is such an important concept in our society and yet it seems to mean anything you want it to mean.