[lbo-talk] Quote of the day...

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Nov 14 15:01:50 PST 2007

Mike Ballard wrote:

>Concepts which have proved useful for ordering things easily assume so great an
>authority over us, that we forget their terrestrial origin and accept them as
>unalterable facts. They then become labeled as 'conceptual necessities,'
>'apriori solutions,' etc. The road of scientific progress is frequently blocked
>for long periods by such errors. It is therefore not just an idle game to
>exercise our ability to analyze familiar concepts, and to demonstrate the
>conditions on which this justification of their usefulness depend."
>
>-Albert Einstein

Yes. Quite. But I like this one even better (quoting from memory): "If my theory of relativity proves to be correct, the germans will call me a german and the french will call me a citizen of the world. If my theory proves to be incorrect, the french will call me a german, and the germans will call me a jew."

Joanna