[lbo-talk] Hey ya'll, this is Paula. I need help.

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 00:48:03 PST 2007

It sounds like your saving that nest egg ($2500 retainer + $275/hr for the lawyer -- yow) really helped.

My experience with looking for a lawyer, unless I had cash up front, or the sure promise of quite a substantial settlement, was that of an endless series of referrals to other folks, other lawyers, other organizations, folks who would, in turn -- refer me to other people. Often I would be referred back to the same people I had started with.

I've also noticed that social service/social supports are becoming more and more like this, even with private charity. Hotlines, organizations, etc., exist aplenty to refer you to places to get help -- but the actual organizations that provide aid are at the end of an elusive trail. Instead one negotiates a complex web, a roundabout of referrals to other places. One would expect to get to the end of the line sooner or later, and to find the organization that actually provides the aid, but, nope! It's a closed circuit of referring agencies.

Is this some sort of racket?

-B.

joyce brothers wrote:

"Yo Andie and Charles. Today I got a rec from the woman who was rec'd by the NLG woman. Earlier in the day a man my boss knows [...] The lawyer's name is David Silverstone, of Hollywood FL, $275/hr, $2500 retainer. This is an enormous amount to this waitress, but I think it's entirely in line. Right? Once again, thank the Universe that I was saving for a roof and avoiding my credit cards so I got some ammo."