[lbo-talk] black class gap

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Nov 15 03:23:40 PST 2007

At 11:30 PM 11/14/2007, ravi wrote:

>Its not a hard science, and has its exceptions, but depending on what
>you mean by "naturally", I believe the notion is not mistaken at all.
>For the obvious reasons. In fact, I would venture that the reverse is
>somewhat true also i.e., the oppressor people are "naturally" lacking
>in compassion (the measurement of radicalism I will leave as an
>exercise to the reader) -- they may learn to overcome this natural
>malady by walking the proverbial mile... or perhaps through the more
>common substitute: theory (unless of course the very theory is what is
>threatened by such findings!).

i'm oppressed as a woman, but i'm an oppressor as a white person. you're oppressed as an Indian, but an oppressor as a man. it's treating identity as if each part can be connected together like snap together beads that babies drool on. from what you say, it's just the opposite of the facile assertion off essentialist identity politics, that somehow the most oppressed have the most insight into the truth of oppression. no on has compassion anywhere, except maybe ... the subaltern? lol but she can't speak because everybody's speaking for her any way. so we'll never know.

the person in question is Art McGee. He has a blog, at myspace I think, and is part of a group blog, http://www.popandpolitics.com/. Last I heard from him, he'd written off blog about a post I'd written at Bitch Lab. But I was so busy that, as usual, I let my in box mail pile up 'til I couldn't see any more. If you write me off list, btw, and don't hear from me, it's mostly just that I am pathetic at keeping organized about email if I don't write soon after i open your mail. I suck. :)

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)