[lbo-talk] Is the Anti-War movement in decline?

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 08:57:56 PST 2007

(Tahir) "I do know that that accounts for a very large

part of the killing that's going on there, far more than the killing of US soldiers."

(Doug) "Do we really know that? That's a real question."

Sounds like a quibble, Doug. Who else could be killing Iraqi civilians in large numbers?

Our general impression of Iraq must be approximately right: "the" resistance is made up of many small and large groups each fighting for control of something -- oil, geography, political power, religious law, tribal custom, jobs,etc. I havent heard of any with leftist credentials except the oil workers. Not only that, if any one faction succeeds in consolidating power, it will likely eventually become some kind of US client, or "partner" (the term for states that aren't really allies but whom we're bribing with a lot of money.)

It really does appear to be a civil war, or anarchic strife. Resistance is not an accurate term for it, because that implies a unified something operating for a common national goal. Removal of US forces is not the ultimate aim of most of these groups, but only a precondition of getting on with their particular agendas. So it appears, at least, through the fog of unreliable media.

BobW