[lbo-talk] black class gap

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 16 04:43:45 PST 2007

dredmond at efn.org wrote:
> On Thu, November 15, 2007 7:22 pm, John Thornton wrote:
>

>> I also dislike deliberately deceiving
>> people. She presented herself to her co-workers as something she was not
>> and she did so for personal gain.
>>

> Oh, going undercover isn't lying. Lots of employers don't hire skilled,
> educated workers -- too much trouble -- and lots of people wouldn't talk
> to you, or would give you a heavily censored version of the truth, if they
> knew you were a journalist/ethnographer/anthropologist/intellectual.
>
> Dennis Perrin has a point, though. Extended unemployment/underemployment
> really and truly does awful things to the body and brain, even for those
> of us who have advanced degrees. We often focus on the overt violence of
> this system -- its genocidal wars and neocolonialisms -- but it's
> important to recognize the endemic, daily violence of capitalism.
>
> -- DRR

She lied.. Whether it was justifiable is a point of contention but the fact that she lied is unquestioned. Some people are uncomfortable with it, some are not. Doug asked why some had contempt for Ehrenreich and I explained why I though many did. As I said before, I'm ambivalent about her.

John Thornton