[lbo-talk] black class gap

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Nov 16 05:09:49 PST 2007

> It amazes me. A smart, stylish, and funny writer with good politics
> scores a popular success with a book that explains to millions how
> the working poor live and she's raked over the coals for it. What's
> wrong with you people?
>
> Doug

I've got nothing against a "smart, stylish, and funny writer with good politics [who] scores a popular success with a book that explains to millions how the working poor live," even if that writer is looking through a glass cage at her subjects. It takes various perspectives to get the full picture. In a way, I'm happy that E. wrote from the angle she did -- leaves room for my book (after the current one I'm finishing) about really living poor with zero safety nets. I hope it, too, will be smart, stylish and funny. Popular? I can only hope. As for the good politics . . .

Dennis