[lbo-talk] black class gap

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 16 05:49:36 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 1:43 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> She lied.. Whether it was justifiable is a point of contention but the
> fact that she lied is unquestioned.
> Some people are uncomfortable with it, some are not.
> Doug asked why some had contempt for Ehrenreich and I explained why I
> though many did.

Many well-known leftists certainly have lied.

For instance, Chomsky has admitted to lying in order to protect dissidents from jail. And he further admits to life's little lies in _Understanding Power_. (Probably says you have to be a "crazy saint" if you haven't occasionally lied. For example, if someone looks bad in a dress, when there's no chance to change into something else, should the person's feelings necessarily be hurt in order to avoid lying?)

But with such ethical questions, it's understandable that people's opinions diverge...

Tayssir