[lbo-talk] The flat tax and income inequality

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Nov 16 11:08:33 PST 2007

Jordan:

Yeah, what was your crack about being on welfare the other day?

[WS:] It had nothing to do with taxes, but with Polish jokes. Check it yourself.

Jordan:

In the mean time, a progressive tax (like the income taxes in the US) is still the best way to pay for even the most awful of things: progressive taxes means that the richer you are, the more you'll pay for this wretched war. And I suppose, that's as it should be.

[WS:] I am painfully aware of that, but why is a self-styled "progressive" leftie of whatever you call yourself nowadays telling me that's as it should be? I would expect to hear that from a hard core nationalist Repug - pay up for the "freedom" that you enjoy."

I'd say that, given the current status of the US empire, the good, old conservative tax avoidance seems more progressive than your progressive tax mantra. After all, tax avoidance denies material assistance to US war mongering - unlike tax hikes that increase the amounts siphoned to the war chest, no?

Wojtek