[lbo-talk] the whatever thread

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 14:35:26 PST 2007

And what about that article that Angelina Jolie wrote for The Economist? (Wow -- now there's a sentence I thought I'd never write.)

Jolie, a US citizen, is going on about war criminals hiding in other countries. Not war criminals like Bush and other craven members of congress, but, safely enough for her, foreigners. That's basically Bono's gig, too, isn't it? Evil's abroad in the world, but we mustn't turn the guns inward; best to maintain friends in high places.

And amazingly that's not even as bold as the Dept. of Homeland Security's own estimation that there are maybe 1,000 war criminals in the US! Jolie doesn't mention that. Only DHS has the guts. AFAIK, Bono keeps his sights safely trained outward, too -- other than reciting platitudes about vague, general humanitarian stuff that even Bush might pad a speech with.

(Chomsky has gone on about war criminals in the US for awhile now, mainly in the context of the US harboring int'l terrorists -- citing Haitian death squad leader Emanuel Constant living in New York, for example, and others. [Mr. Constant I guess was recently jailed in Suffolk Co. for some financial fraud charges, but only after years of incredibly working at Melville Brokerage, the financial sector probably providing suitable work for someone with "death-squad leader" on his resume.])

-B.

ravi wrote:

"I admit that my positive view of Bono is based only on the news reports of his broad effort and commitment to causes which I naturally identify with leftism and humanism. But the clowning around whether it be about Bono or Nathan Newman, is at best occasionally funny, but never edifying!"