[lbo-talk] black class gap

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 16 16:18:51 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007, at 5:21 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>

>> What if I want to write a book about how stupid the working poor
>> are and
>> so I do what Ehrenreich did to get close to working poor people.
>> I buddy up, lie to them and tell them I'm 'one of them' and get
>> them to
>> open up and tell me things they might not tell a researcher.
>> Then I turn and use that information and rake them over the coals and
>> cite numerous examples of just how stupid they are to support the idea
>> that they are poor because they are stupid.
>> You'll be OK with the fact that I lied to them, and misrepresented
>> myself so I could get the story I wanted?
>>

> The story you wanted would be evil, destructive, nasty, and a bigger
> lie than the one you told to gain access. It's really not a
> complicated moral issue.
>
> Doug

You conveniently ignore the fact that many people believe the above so for them the motive would be exactly the same as it was for EB.

I'm glad you have some insight into exactly when it is alright to deceive people and when it is not as well as what motives relieve one of the burden of honesty. I certainly wish I had such insight but alas this is not the case. I never seem to know with certainty when I can lie to my fellow humans and have it be beyond reproach or exactly what ends justify what means. I guess I will continue in my high-horse moralizing ways and assume that except under rather extraordinary circumstances I will not willingly mislead others. Even for 'their' own good as I perceive it.

John Thornton