[lbo-talk] black class gap

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Nov 16 20:28:24 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 10:56 PM, John Thornton wrote:

> So if I want to interview disabled people and I put myself in a
> wheelchair and make up some bogus story about how I became disabled so
> others with disabilities would open up to me this is cool in everyones
> opinion, right?

Not everyone, no. In particular, not in mine.

> Assuming I am writing a book about how unfair society is
> to the disabled, the nature of the obstacles the disabled face and
> finish with comments about how inadequate our disability legislation
> is
> and how much I've learned about the true nature of disabilities of
> course.
> If it's not cool then someone please tell my how this is different
> than
> what EB did.

I am guessing here (since I have not read and have no interest in reading N&D) but I believe the plan was to experience the working class life? Not just narrate the stories of the real working class? I could be wrong, but if I am not, then, there is a small difference: she is pretending not so much to fool the poor saps without the backup job at Harvard or wherever and get their stories, but to live the life, feel the pain so to say!

--ravi