[lbo-talk] death of environmentalism/dancing in the streets

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Nov 17 04:31:18 PST 2007

These guys sound like they should be on your show, Doug. anyone pay attention to them? Nordhaus was just on Morning Edition and spoke about the negativism and fear generated by current environmental politics and also argued that we aren't going to deprive ourselves to a solution. I don't know how much they go into it in the book, but the angle on a politics of possibility, rather than negative imagery, sounded intriguing. Their lit review section might be worth the trip to the library at any rate.

Break Through: The Death of Environmentalism and the Politics of Possibility by Ted Nordhaus and Michael Shellenberger

didn't find a website on the first 10 hits.

oh and speaking of which, what about Ehrenreich's new book? I read the review in the NYRB. It's about the role played by dance and what the sociologists call "collective effervescence" in politics. Anyone up for a group read of that book or, as I proposed under another nome de plume, a read of Hofstadter's work?

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Streets-History-Collective-Joy/dp/0805057234/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195302754&sr=1-3

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)