[lbo-talk] Fw: Deer Hunting With Jesus

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 15:52:11 PST 2007

I seize on a rare opportunity to disagree with Marvin. It is the case that southern protestant whites are more economically conservative than 'white ethnic' catholics from the northeast or midwest. But recently I've come across an interesting assertion. Thomas Edsall, in his great book about the backlash, says that before the 60s, working-class southern protestant whites were the third most left-leaning (on econonomics) constituency in the US (after blacks and jews); they were racially reactionary, but the country's most ardent new deal democrats otherwise. He says that during the conservative realignment in the 60s and 70s, where the republican party took in racial conservatives, such southern whites appear to have made an ideological conversion to free-market enthusiasm.

I'd never heard this before, but Edsall is a very credible guy with great sourcing and tight reasoning. I wonder if anyone else has thoughts on this tidbit.

There are many aspects of catholic theology itself, but moreso how the church organizationally evolved in the US, that have placed adherents left of the dial with regard to many issues.

Lastly- I do believe that pointing to populist fervor in the south and west is not very useful. Reading Hofstadter's age of reform shook me up on that--- the degree to which the populist crusade was the exclamation point at the end of an old society. Honestly, I don't think Bryan is any influence at all on the contemporary shape of politics in oklahoma, georgia or south dakota. Al Smith, on the other hand, continues to loom large over the big ethnic cities of the northeast and midwest. But Bryan might as well be Albert Parsons or Father Coughlin for all his relevance to his old stomping grounds today.

Jim