[lbo-talk] LBO Got All Crazy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 18 08:13:44 PST 2007

joanna wrote:

> Another instance of complete agreement. Still, Emma Thompson was lovely
> in the role and her script was good.

I would agree to that. One should probably try to forget the original of any film while watching it.

Incidentally, a book worth looking at is Jillian Heydt-Stevenson, _ Austen's Unbecoming Conjunctions_, the thrust of which is in the title f or the Introduction, "Did Jane Austen really mean _That_?" -- the answer in all cases (as in a pun on rears & vices in Mansfield Park) being Yes, she did.

******"Do you know anything of my cousin's captain?" said Edmund; "Captain Marshall? You have a large acquaintance in the navy, I conclude?"

"Among admirals, large enough; but," with an air of grandeur, "we know very little of the inferior ranks. Post-captains may be very good sort of men, but they do not belong to _us_. Of various admirals I could tell you a great deal: of them and their flags, and the gradation of their pay, and their bickerings and jealousies. But, in general, I can assure you that they are all passed over, and all very ill used. Certainly, my home at my uncle's brought me acquainted with a circle of admirals. Of _Rears_ and _Vices_ I saw enough. Now do not be suspecting me of a pun, I entreat."

Edmund again felt grave, and only replied, "It is a noble profession."*****

Carrol