[lbo-talk] Wish I Was In Dixie (Re: The North's burden of enlightening the South (was Re: The "NAFTA Superhighway" Urban Myth)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Nov 18 17:55:54 PST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007, at 5:18 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> I grew up down South, and while if I never cross the
> Mason-Dixon line again it will be too soon (I may make
> an exception for New Orleans), I am more than aware of
> Dixie's contributions to US culture. Insofar as the US
> has a native artistic culture that isn't Jewish, it is
> largely Southern. Never mind Janis Joplin, listen to
> the people she listened too. The blues, ...

Couldn't you replace "Southern" with "Black", without losing accuracy while gaining insight? i.e., black music can be seen not as part of Southern culture but as a response to it? (I do agree that some white people -- to wit, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Mark Knopfler and Bono(*), but more so the white jazz writers -- could do something with it).

--ravi

(*) just kidding ;-)