[lbo-talk] Wish I Was In Dixie (Re: The North's burden of enlightening the South (was Re: The "NAFTA Superhighway" Urban Myth)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 07:20:08 PST 2007

And Southern black people aren't Southern? Unlike Carl, who, in a metaphysically weird manner creates a Southern culture that has no black contribution, the blacks who lived down south longer than most whites were just aliens "reacting" to white southern culture, a sensible view is a variation on this: southern culture involves a lot of elements, including interaction -- surprise! with white southerners and their music, including the fiddle-based English and Irish old timy country music, the interaction of black swing, texas country, and blues in Texas swing, the traditional Jewish liturgical music you can hear in Louis ARmstrong, who was raised in part by a Jewish family, the classical European training he received at the Orphanage in the band and also received by Duke Ellington and Fats Wller among any others, and then there is the black-Jewish collaboration that is at the heart of jazz, with black musicians transforming Jewish-written show tunes into The Standards.