[lbo-talk] The North's burden of enlightening the South (was Re: The "NAFTA Superhighway" Urban Myth)

Bill Hoffman whoffman33 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 07:42:49 PST 2007

Given the radically different historical and economic trajectories of development in the southern and northern (and western, for that matter) regions of the country, it would be awfully surprising if there were not profound sociocultural differences as well, and the "internal colonization" perspective would likely provide much more insight into these differences, and suggest grounds for (admittedly unlikely) progressive politics in the south than facile claims that Texas is "unsurpassed as a hotbed of anti-intellectualism" (which does not offend me, as I take it as a lame attempt at humor that is derivative of Bill Maher, but lacks his sense of timing). A bit of historical materialist perspective, as quaint as that is, would be in order. The underdevelopment of the south following the Civil War created a sharecropper peasantry of both white and black, and peasants tend to be socially and culturally uber-conservative.

I would like to live in an area unaffected by neoliberal conversion of "retirement" into "computer" systems, but I find that the seagoing utopias described in Mike Davis's "Evil Paradises" are not panning out.

I don't really mind the dismissive atittude towards the south - I have no interest in spending much time in the "old south", although I live in Texas, In 25 years, I think I've heard the "lost cause" mentioned only in jest, and I think southerners much prefer to wallow in football than history. At least Mr. Remick isn't getting his history from "Birth of a Nation. "