[lbo-talk] Wish I Was In Dixie (Re: The North's burden of enlightening the South (was Re: The "NAFTA Superhighway" Urban Myth)

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 08:17:23 PST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 10:30 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> And hey, you South-bashers - why are so many black people moving from
> the promised land of the North to the allegedly benighted land of Dixie?

There is a strong and established black middle class in several Southern cities: Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, and New Orleans come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. I would guess that this is due in part to the large number of historically black colleges and universities down here. There are three in Raleigh/Durham alone: Shaw, St. Augustine's and NC Central. This -- and the nice weather -- is probably pretty attractive to a lot of black folks, no?

-WD